Prize Rules of The International Stefan Banach Prize for a Doctoral Dissertation in the Mathematical Sciences
- Every year, Ericpol Sp. z o.o. (ET) and the Polish Mathematical Society (PTM) grant „The International Stefan Banach Prize for a Doctoral Dissertation in the Mathematical Sciences” (hereafter referred to as the Prize) for an outstanding doctoral dissertation in the field of mathematical sciences. The Prize is funded by ET.
- Call for submissions for every edition of the Prize is announced by 15 November each year, whereas the deadline for submission of dissertations is on 31 January of the following year.
- The announcement includes the following information:
- Prize rules,
- required materials and an address to which they need to be sent,
- jury members,
- deadline of the adjudication,
- eligible countries,
- Prize value.
- A doctoral dissertation, based on which a given author was granted a degree at a university located in one of the countries covered by the competition during the year of competition announcement and two years preceding the competition, can be submitted for the Prize.
- The Prizewinner and the persons nominated for the Prize in one of the previous editions, cannot receive the Prize.
- Only doctoral dissertations originally written in Polish or English, or such whose results were published or approved for publication in English, can be submitted for the Prize.
- Doctoral dissertations can be presented only by their authors or dissertation advisors with author’s written consent.
- A submission should include:
- a paper copy of the doctoral dissertation,
- a file including the text of the dissertation in pdf format,
- a paper version (copy or printout) and pdf files of works including dissertation results approved for publication,
- a doctoral dissertation advisor’s letter of recommendation,
- an application form (available on www.banachprize.org) including detailed information about the author and the institution where the doctoral dissertation was defended.
- The Prize is awarded according to the verdict of the Jury.
- The Jury is composed of as many as seven persons, including at least five appointed by the Delegate Assembly of the Polish Mathematical Society and one person appointed by ET. PTM President, or a vice-president appointed by the President, can participate in the Jury’s activities as a non-voting member.
- In the case of resignation of a Jury member or if one of the mambers can not participate in the works of Jury, the PTM Board may appoint another member.
- PTM can invite the previous Prize winner to the Jury as a voting member.
- Chairperson, appointed by the PTM Executive Board from the Jury members appointed by PTM, chairs the Jury.
- PTM Office is responsible for secretarial service of the Jury.
- The Jury decides on the Prizewinner in two stages.
- During the first stage, the Jury, after making themselves acquainted with the submitted dissertations, selects 3 to 5 nominees who take part in the second stage. In the second stage, the selects the Prizewinner by secret ballot.
- During voting, every Jury member has one vote. More than half of the votes from the entire Jury is required for the Jury to make the final decision. In the case of disputes, the Chairperson has the decisive vote.
- A report is drawn up after a Jury meeting and is signed by Jury members participating in winner selection.
- The Jury announces the decision on www.banachprize.org. The announcement also includes the information on the venue and date of the Prize ceremony, which in general should take place during the annual Forum of Polish Mathematicians organised by PTM. The winner is invited to give a speech during the Forum. Prize nominees, appointed in the first stage of the competition, receive special certificates.
- The nominees receive diplomas. The Jury can make a decision to divide the Prize between the Winner and the nominees.
- The PTM Office oficially notifies the Prizewinner and nominees of the Prize and certificates, respectively, as well as of the venue and date of the Prize ceremony.
- The Prize is paid by means of a money transfer to a bank account specified by beneficiaries or in cash with conformation receipt, provided that such a wish is expressed at least 7 days before the Prize ceremony. In the case of dividing the Prize between the Prizewinner and the nominees, the rule applies also to them.
- Tax according to the rules of law is deducted from the Prize.
- The Jury and the organizers will publish information concerning the Prize on the webpage www.banachprize.com.